Foodovation Centre ‘Growing for the future’ at Food and Drink Awards

The newly opened Foodovation Centre at North West Regional College has been shortlisted as a finalist at the NI Year of Food and Drink Awards.

The centre, run by well-known chef Brian McDermott is in the top three of the ‘Growing for the Future’ Category, which also includes ‘Journey to Market’ by Causeway Glens and the Food Heartland Initiative in Armagh City.

The winners will be announced at a black tie dinner at the Culloden Hotel on Thursday, February 2.

Also included as a finalist is Derry City and Strabane District Council’s Food Festival which has been shortlisted in the Best NI Food Event .

Celebrity Chef Neven Maguire officially opens Foodovation Centre at NWRC

Group pictured at the official opening of North West Regional College’s Foodovation Centre in November. From left: Carol Banham, Carol’s Stock Market, special guest and chef Neven Maguire, Brian McDermott, Food Development Centre Manager, North West Regional College and Alastair Crowne from Corndale Farm.

Fergal Tuffy, Technology Innovation Manager with NWRC’s Business Support centre said they were delighted to be shortlisted for the awards.

He added: “The Foodovation Centre, which opened in November 2016 is aimed at supporting entrepreneurs, artisan food producers and small and medium enterprises to develop new food and drink products for the market.”

“NWRC has supported more than 140 businesses over the past six years and this Centre will provide a lasting legacy to the 2016 NI Year of Food. The College plans to use the Centre to embed skills in industry and entrepreneurs in areas such as new product development, food photography and videography to ensure that businesses can continuously innovate and develop exportable products that will sell on a global market. This centre and the skills that it embeds in its users will ensure that the legacy of 2016 lasts well into the future.”

“Since the Centre’s official opening in November 2016, the response has been overwhelming. The visiting stakeholders feel that the College has delivered a centre that can assist the development of new products, embedding the skills and knowledge, and companies such as Carol’s Stock Market, Corndale Farm Chorizo, Primrose Café and Chocolate Manor are examples of companies that have already received invaluable support. We are able to leverage various types of funding such as the Department for Economy’s InnovateUs and Skills Focus programmes, Invest NI and Enterprise Ireland’s Innovation Vouchers initiatives and the Connected programme to support entrepreneurs and businesses so we’d encourage anyone that has an idea to come and talk to us.“

For more information log on Business Support at NWRC log on to http://www.creativedevelopmentni.com/bsc/

NWRC On Twitter

Our students were raising awareness for @NHSOrganDonor at Fresher's Week - They got a fantastic response. Well done… https://t.co/Nkgoy35czz
h J R
@mynwrc

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.
Opening Hours