Quest scholarship helping NWRC students build for the future

Two students from North West Regional College (NWRC) have each secured a prestigious QUEST Technician scholarship from the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).

Daryl McCauley from Strabane and Derek Kelly from Derry~Londonderry are both studying Foundation Degrees in Civil Engineering at NWRC, Strand Road.

The QUEST scholarships of up to £1,500 are awarded annually to students pursuing a qualification in the United Kingdom that can lead to ICE technician membership.

Having grown up in a family of engineers Daryl McCauley had aspirations to make his own mark in the profession.

However his A-Level results were not enough to secure him a place at University in his first choice Engineering Degree course.

The 23 year-old had a successful career in the Hospitality industry before returning to education at North West Regional College in 2015 to study for a Foundation Degree in Civil Engineering.

He’s now the second year of his course and also works part time as a civil engineering technician with WDR&RT Taggart.

“My ultimate ambition is to become a Chartered Civil Engineer,” said Daryl. “I am particularly interested in water engineering and management as well as structural analysis and design.

“With the aid of the scholarship I intend to develop and expand on my existing knowledge and become a better student because of it.”

27 years-old Derek, who is currently on placement at Altnagelvin Hospital was inspired to begin his course after travelling across the world.

“I’ve been to some amazing cities including Dubai, London and New York,” Derek explained.

“After seeing the buildings there I thought to myself that I’d love to be able to put something like that together.

“When I’ve graduated I’d like to work on complex engineering jobs anywhere and everywhere around the world and hopefully become chartered along the way.

“The Quest Scholarship will bring the financial burden of travel costs and other outlays associated with education down for me and enable me to focus more on developing my skills as an engineer.”

North West Regional College offers a number of courses in construction and built environment.

For more information log on to www.nwrc.ac.uk

Or join us on one of our Open Days which will be held in Strabane on Tuesday March 28 from 5.00 p.m;  Strand Road and Springtown on March 29 (12noon – 8.00pm), and Limavady and Greystone on March 30 (5.00pm – 8.00pm).

NWRC On Twitter

Our phone lines are back up. Thank you for your patience everyone.
h J R
@mynwrc
Our phone lines are down. We're are currently working to restore connection. All enquiries can be made via info@nwrc.ac.uk -
h J R
@mynwrc
Want to work in mental health? Get in touch. https://t.co/i7Z6A2PJEN
h J R
@mynwrc

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.
Opening Hours