College’s rising star following in the footsteps of DeNiro

A 25 years-old  local man, who took up acting two years ago when he began a HND in Performing Arts at North West Regional College (NWRC), has been awarded a place at a prestigious acting school in New York, where Robert DeNiro learned his craft.

North West Regional College graduate Oisin McCool has been awarded a place at the Stellar School of Acting in New York.

25 years-old Oisin McCool from Bishop Street in Derry~Londonderry has been accepted into the Stella Adler Studio of Acting for the Summer.

The school boasts an impressive alumni that includes DeNiro, Marlon Brando, Salma Hayek and Kevin Costner.

Three years ago, Oisin McCool reached a crossroads in his life when he took the decision to drop out of his University Business Degree.

He commented: “I had taken the advice I had been given by teachers and careers advisors to study business, but the course just wasn’t me.

“I wondered if there was a course you could do that would make you happy.

“Deep down I knew I wanted to try acting and someone suggested I go to NWRC. Since then I’ve never looked back. I had absolutely no experience of acting and I went in blind to this new world of a HND in Performing Arts.”

Having graduated in October 2016, Oisin auditioned for his place at the Stellar school of Acting in London after spotting an advertisement on facebook.

Offering him the place, representative s from the Stellar School said they were impressed by Oisin’s “passion for acting, theatre and for life.”

Since then it has been non stop planning for New York.

Oisin said:  “For me to be able to say that I studied in the Stellar school of Acting will be phenomenal.

“But if I hadn’t done the course at NWRC I know I wouldn’t be doing this now.

“The lecturers’ approach to students is amazing. I’ve been really inspired by NWRC tutors such as Michael Poole and Carie Houston who have helped so many people to get out of their shell.

“This place and the theatre at NWRC feels like home, and will always have a place inside me.

“I’ve been able to follow my dream and devote my life to acting, and I’d tell anyone else to do the same. Whatever you sit and daydream about doing, then go for it. Do what makes you happy. Not everyone is in to books and figures.”

North West Regional College offers a number of courses at Level 2, Level 3 and HND in Performing Arts.

For more information log on to www.nwrc.ac.uk

NWRC On Twitter

Thinking of a career in sports? Come along to our Strand Road Campus this evening from 6 -8. Info evening on our courses in Sports Hall
h J R
@mynwrc
Why we are so focused on our skills focused courses! Getting you ready for work. https://t.co/Eg1OUe43Ad
h J R
@mynwrc

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.
Opening Hours