Star of Derry Girls studied Performing Arts at NWRC

The actress who plays Michelle Mallon in the sensational new Channel 4 series Derry Girls, learned the tools of the trade at North West Regional College (NWRC).

Michelle Mallon (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell)

Jamie Lee O’Donnell, who has now been tipped as the break-out star of series, studied Level 3 Performing Arts at NWRC, and is regarded as a huge talent by her former college lecturers.

The 26 year-old said  press reaction to the show has been unbelievable.

“People have stopped me in the street and everybody has said such nice things,” she told the Belfast Telegraph.

“They really seem to be on board with it. The English Press have given us amazing reviews and everyone in Derry is talking about it, not just my family and friends. They think it’s really, really funny.”

The first episode of the series, set in 1994 attracted more than 1.6 million viewers across the UK, and trended worldwide on twitter.

Jamie-Lee has been acting for years, as a student at St Anne’s Primary School, St Cecilia’s College, and North West Regional College.

NWRC On Twitter

It's never to early to think about your future... and we have it covered. Open Days coming Feb 6-8. Register to be… https://t.co/vN0fOuo3Ad
h J R
@mynwrc
A change is just around the corner. So many job opportunities at the College. https://t.co/IoFJze37lB https://t.co/bZbHYKXExe
h J R
@mynwrc
RT @CollegesNI: Final applicants sought for fast track course in hospitality, retail and tourism @mynwrc @dcsdcouncil #jobseekers #upskills…
h J R
@mynwrc

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.
Opening Hours