Star of Derry Girls studied Performing Arts at NWRC

The actress who plays Michelle Mallon in the sensational new Channel 4 series Derry Girls, learned the tools of the trade at North West Regional College (NWRC).

Michelle Mallon (Jamie-Lee O’Donnell)

Jamie Lee O’Donnell, who has now been tipped as the break-out star of series, studied Level 3 Performing Arts at NWRC, and is regarded as a huge talent by her former college lecturers.

The 26 year-old said  press reaction to the show has been unbelievable.

“People have stopped me in the street and everybody has said such nice things,” she told the Belfast Telegraph.

“They really seem to be on board with it. The English Press have given us amazing reviews and everyone in Derry is talking about it, not just my family and friends. They think it’s really, really funny.”

The first episode of the series, set in 1994 attracted more than 1.6 million viewers across the UK, and trended worldwide on twitter.

Jamie-Lee has been acting for years, as a student at St Anne’s Primary School, St Cecilia’s College, and North West Regional College.