NWRC Construction students receive prestigious Quest scholarships

Two students from North West Regional College (NWRC) have each secured a prestigious QUEST Technician scholarship from the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).

Jane McMonagle from Derry~Londonderry and Poppy Mahoney from Limavady are part of a group of seven who have been awarded scholarships totalling £10,000, for outstanding budding civil engineers, all of whom are following different paths into industry.

Each QUEST Technician scholarship is worth up to £1,500 for students or apprentices on further or higher education courses that could lead to becoming an ICE Technician member (EngTech MICE).

Jane McMonagle is studying Construction and the Built Environment at North West Regional College, and says that she has always enjoyed “analysing structures of the past, and where they could go within the next century.” She plans to study Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast when she completes her course at NWRC.

Recipients of the ICE scholarship (L to R): Jane McMonagle (NWRC), Tristan Harpur, Poppy Mahoney (NWRC), Jack Henry, Tammy Whelan, and Sile McKinney.

“I want to play a significant role in the industry that will reshape the environment for the better,” said Jane.

Poppy Mahoney is studying the same course at North West Regional College and hopes to eventually study Civil Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast. She says that she’s passionate about the impact civil engineers have on people’s lives, and is especially interested in the construction of the London Tube tunnels.

John Logue, Curriculum Manager in Built Environment at NWRC said: “I’d like to congratulate Jane and Poppy on their success in achieving the Quest scholarship.

“Now that a number of key projects in the development of Northern Ireland’s infrastructure have been given the green light including the A5 and A6, superb career opportunities for civil engineers and our young people are on our doorstep.

“The North West Regional College (NWRC) offers Foundation Degrees in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering with Surveying, plus Architectural Technology, on a full time basis with direct work based placement.

“Part time HNC and Level 3 courses are also on offer at the college. This is an opportunity for local students to reduce the costs of study, to stay close to home whist developing their chosen career. A chance to take an everlasting pride in a highly rewarding career that improves society. In June 2017, Civil Engineering was identified by the Department for the Economy (NI) as one of the three areas most in demand at degree, foundation degree and higher apprenticeship level. Various progression routes are available at NWRC for all ages and ability.”

The college is now taking applications for the Level 3 and Level 5 apprenticeship in Civil Engineering, with salaries of £12K and £16K respectively, applications must be received by March 20.