NWRC put me in the driving seat – says former student

A former student of North West Regional College (NWRC) who now works for luxury sports car manufacturer Aston Martin, says the education he received at Greystone Campus was pivotal to him landing his dream job.

Mark Shiels, who came to NWRC after quitting a Degree in Computer Game programming, now works as a Senior Engineer in Power Train and Engine Calibration at Aston Martin’s headquarters in Gaydon.

Former North West Regional College student Mark Shiels who now works for luxury sports car manufacturer Aston Martin

Recently during a trip back home to Limavady, Mark returned to the Greystone Campus, impressing his former lecturers by arriving in the all new Aston Martin Vantage.

Mark said: “It was great to come back to the college and meet up with my lecturers John Pollock and Gino Tierney who were very supportive of me.”

“When I did my A-Levels I decided to go to university in England to study Computer Game programming, but I didn’t like it and decided to come home.”

“When I came back I wasn’t sure what I was going to do. I had thought about Engineering before and decided to come to NWRC to study for my National Diploma“.

“From there I went on to Queen’s to study for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering”

“It was my time at NWRC that was pivotal to my career. The standard of teaching was excellent, it gave me the confidence to go on and study what I really wanted to.”

“The mixture of real life experience alongside classroom teaching really worked for me. I would ask anyone thinking of moving away to study to ensure that it is the right thing for them.”

“I found what I needed in Limavady and when I completed my course at NWRC I was able to go on to Queen’s.”

NWRC lecturer Gino Tierney congratulated Mark on his success.

He added: “During his time at Greystone Mark was a fantastic student and went on to win the NavComm Award for best engineering student.

“It was quite a moment for the staff when we saw Mark drive back into Greystone Campus in an Aston Martin, a company with which he is now enjoying the career he thoroughly deserves.”

“He is living proof of our college mantra – Start Here Go Anywhere.”

NWRC Greystone offers a number of traineeships and apprenticeships on a full-time and part-time basis in course areas such as Motor Vehicle, Brickwork, Carpentry & Joinery, Electrical Installation, Plumbing, and Fabrication & Welding.  Applications for these courses which start in September are now open, and further details are available at nwrc.ac.uk/our-courses

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.