‘School just wasn’t for me so I applied for College’

Nineteen years-old Shannon McAnaney came to North West Regional College (NWRC) to study business, deciding that school just “wasn’t for her.”

And after completing the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business (equivalent to 3 A levels) Shannon is now moving on to the next step of her career having received an unconditional offer from Birmingham City University to study Business Management.

The local woman says NWRC suited her because she wanted a course of study that would specialise her career.

She explained: “At school you have to choose three A levels, but at NWRC you can focus on one main course and this was a better option for me.”

Shannon said she developed personally and quickly gained new skills and qualities during her course.

She said: ”I’ve had to stand up in front of my classmates and present presentations; I’ve taken part in interviewing situations and got the chance to be at both sides of the table; I’ve led teams through assignments; and I’ve also had experience in finance and marketing.

“At NWRC I got a huge amount of support from the college both from the lecturers that I had over the two year course, and from the Learning Support department of the college. My lecturers were able to explain what I needed to put into my work and gave me feedback on areas I could improve.

“The Learning Support department in the college helped me with my assignments and they were there if I needed help to fill out forms I wasn’t sure of. The support that they offer is very helpful and I would recommend that if any student in the college is struggling with work to see them and see if they can help them in their studies. “

Shannon is now preparing to move to Birmingham to study Business Management.

“I am very excited about this next stage in my life, for this new opportunity and to get the chance to see the career opportunities there are in my new place of study,” she said.

“I would recommend this course at NWRC to students as I found it very interesting and it opens you up to how the business world works. It’s a great course for students that want to get into the business world either working in it as a Marketing Director, Administrations or wanting to open up their own business in the future, because it gives them the opportunity to see how it works at all ends of the spectrum.

“This course can open a lot of doors for jobs with the knowledge that is gained.  “

For more information on courses at NWRC please go to www.nwrc.ac.uk/apply

Tipsukon Cochrane

NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic…
NWRC has a strong academic reputation and it really helps develop and improve your artistic skills. The facilities are fantastic and there is such a great atmosphere between the students […]

Liam Duffy

My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance…
My time at NWRC was such an amazing experience! This course opened so many doors and gave me the chance to apply for lots of degree courses. We were supported […]

Paul Gallagher

The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next…
The Access course I’m studying at the College is challenging but very rewarding! It’s a great foundation for my next career move which I hope to be Marine Biology at […]

Aoife McGrory

It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave…
It was always my desire to achieve a qualification in something I loved & had a talent for. NWRC gave me that opportunity.

Jessica Vance

The lecturers and the resources are just brilliant! I would recommend the college to anyone.