Top marks for NWRC Accounting student Anne Monagle

North West Regional College student Anne Monagle has scored the best marks in Ireland for the Diploma for Accounting Technicians.

The 35-year-old from Malin achieved the top marks, despite sitting her final exams only months after having her first baby.

Anne was so dedicated to the part-time course at North West Regional College that she carried on attending the classes through her maternity leave, after the birth of her daughter.

Anne said: “I did the two-year course part-time, on day release from my employers McCambridge Duffy and Co Ltd in Derry, where I work as assistant manager in the finance department,”

“I had worked in finance and accounts roles for almost 15 years but had no formal qualification in accounting so the ATI was an accessible course to get the qualifications I needed and with huge support from my employers.

“I found the course fantastic and the tutors were also very understanding and helpful during my pregnancy and afterwards going to classes after being up half the night with a new baby.”

Kathleen McCaul, Head of the Department of Business at NWRC said: “Anne’s achievement in attaining the highest marks in Ireland is nothing short of outstanding. The staff of NWRC were delighted to hear the news and we are very proud of her success. This news is also testament to the quality of teaching and learning across our College. We offer our best wishes to Anne as she continues her future career.”

Accounting Technicians Ireland’s qualification is recognised as the fastest pathway to a professional accounting career. With flexible courses nationwide, you can obtain this professional qualification in as little as two years.

The accounting qualification provides access to employment opportunities for a broad range of accounting and finance roles and will enable students to further progress to senior financial management posts.

For more information on part time courses at NWRC please visit www.nwrc.ac.uk/parttime