Early Years students bring books to life in Cross Campus competition

Early Years students at North West Regional College have used children’s books to create innovative and educational resources as part of the college’s annual Cross Campus competition.

Keli Moore, Leah Taylor and Shannon Kelly, who are studying Level 2 Early Years at NWRC’s Limavady Campus, with their entry in the Cross Campus Story Sacks competition – What Do Babies Eat?

Overall winners pictured with Karen Moore, NWRC Head of Training and skills – Natalia Wroblewska, Shauna Doherty, Caoimhe McCallion, Maria Bonner and Kornelia Krawczyk, with their entry ‘Fidgety Fish’ at the North West Regional College Cross Campus Story Sacks competition.

Strabane Campus Early Years students Niamh Boyle, Emer Brown, Leah Maguire and Katy Sue Duncan Buchanan with their book ‘Meg and Mog’ at NWRC’s Cross Campus Story Sacks competition.

Level 1 Early Years students with their project ‘Can you Choo Choo too?’ at the NWRC Cross Campus Story Sacks competition. From left are Mariana Vieira, Sarah Archer, Louise McElhinney and Caitilin Doherty. The students are based at Strand Road Campus.

Brionie Cooley, Briana Doherty and Faith Doherty from Strand Road Campus, take part in the Story Sacks competition with their entry Clickety Clack Crocodile’s Back.

Students on Level 1 and 2 Early Years courses from the Department of Training and Skills, from Strand Road, Strabane and Limavady campuses were asked to design a story sack based on a well known story.

As part of the project students had to research, design and create the story sacks as well as include literacy, numeracy and science activities which could extend the learning of the story. The aim of the sacks is to develop and enhance language and communication skills within the early years.

Students were also asked to consider individual needs by including resources which enable the inclusion of all children, particularly those with sensory impairments.

The winning team on the day came from Strand Road Campus where students built a resource based on the story: ‘Fidgety Fish’

For more pictures log on to

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mynwrc/albums/72157700382264872