‘Embrace new technology’ – urges NWRC Principal

“Virtual and Augmented Reality will completely change the world that we live in.”

This was the view of Principal and Chief Executive of North West Regional College Leo Murphy, who told students from schools and colleges across the region that they must do everything they can to embrace new technology.

NWRC Principal Leo Murphy.

Shannon Mitchell is immersed in the award winning Virtual Reality film ‘Aurora’ by Pink Kong animation studios, who were one of the exhibitors at the Digital Cities Virtual and Augmented Realities conference at North West Regional College.

Speaking at a Virtual and Augmented Reality Conference held at Strand Road Campus, as part of BBC Digital Cities, Mr Murphy said emerging AR and VR techniques are the technology of the future.

“They will completely change the world we live in,” he said, “impacting what we do in health, leisure, education and manufacturing.

“Conferences like today are all about stimulating the minds of our young people. You are the young people that need to embrace this technology.”

The conference, which was being held for the second time at NWRC, was attended by school and college students from across the North West, and gave young people the opportunity to explore the applications and possibilities offered by emerging virtual and augmented reality technology.

Guest speakers included BAFTA award winner Kris Kelly and award winning film maker and co-founder of Dublin based animation studio, Ping Kong, Niamh Herrity.

The day also included demonstrations from a range of successful UK and Irish companies on how they use immersive technology in filmmaking, VFX, gaming, animation, education, health care, business and advertising.

Students were also given the opportunity to take part in workshops on how to create VR and AR content.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mynwrc/albums/72157703540237864