Kickstart your IT career with exciting fast track scheme

Derry City and Strabane District Council, in partnership with the North West Regional College, are seeking applications for an exciting course aimed at fast tracking students into a career in the IT industry.

Kickstart Your IT is a 12 week, industry led, software fundamentals course that provides specialist training to enable candidates to successfully apply for IT software roles.

Applications for the full time course close on Tuesday December 11th and classes will begin on January 7th 2019.

The exciting programme offers students a placement with a local software company and a guaranteed job interview at the end with participating companies.

Skills Project Officer at Derry City and Strabane District Council, Eileen McGrinder, noted the programme will offer industry recognised qualifications and provide training to help give students a competitive edge in the local job market.

“We are delighted to be working with the North West Regional College and local IT companies to provide this course that will help satisfy a shortage of computer programmers in our region,” she said.

“The course has employability sessions integrated into it which aim to enhance the candidates’ personal development to give the best possible chance during the job application process.

“These include assistance with application form completion, interview skills, mock interview feedback and presentations, skills they can use regardless of whether or not they choose to pursue a career in IT at the end of the course.”

Candidates must be fully available for the full time, 32.5 hours per week, schedule and successful students will gain an ISTQB Foundation Certificate in Software Testing, OCN Level 4 Diploma in Software Development and an SQL module.

Lecturer in Computing at North West Regional College, Kevin McLaughlin, revealed that, despite the short nature of the course, students will learn a wide range of programming functions.

“This software fundamentals course will allow students with no background in IT to quickly learn a range of skills and programming languages that they can put into practise in the workplace,” he said.

“It includes Java, SQL and UX Fundamentals modules as well as software testing and design.

“The local software industry is a growing one and the successful completion of this course can leave candidates strongly equipped to successfully gain employment and thrive in it.”

Eligible candidates must be resident in the Derry City and Strabane District Council area and possess a HND or equivalent level qualification in any discipline or have a strong knowledge background in IT.

The selection process for the course is initially by application form with shortlisted candidates progressing to an aptitude test to assess logical and mathematical skills and finally an interview with representatives from NWRC and DCSDC.

Application packs are available from the Skills Office on 02871308466 or by e mailing eileen.mcgrinder@derrystrabane.com