£5,500 a year scholarship for NWRC graduate Caitlin Hasson

A former student of North West Regional College who is now studying Physiotherapy at Manchester Metropolitan University, has been awarded a coveted JP McManus scholarship.

Caitlin Hasson who graduated from NWRC with a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health Sciences is one of six Further Education graduates to receive the award, which is a yearly grant of £5,500 for each year she is studying.

Caitlin Hasson.

The All Ireland awards which were presented at a ceremony at the University of Limerick on November 24 are awarded annually to the top-performing students in receipt of the Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA), who reside in Northern Ireland (NI) and attend a grant aided Post Primary School or Further Education (FE) College in NI.

Speaking after the awards ceremony Caitlin said she was delighted to receive the scholarship after being encouraged to apply by her lecturers at NWRC.

She added: “This scholarship will make a huge difference to my study as I can put it towards the cost of my accommodation and it means I don’t have to take a student loan to pay for it.

“I’m really delighted to receive it. I previously attended St Patrick’s and St Brigid’s College in Claudy and then went on to study Health Sciences at NWRC.

“I decided to study at the NWRC because after I completed my GCSEs I had to move school as my school didn’t provide A Levels.

“I heard so many people talking about their experiences with NWRC and how they enjoyed their time there and how they were treated more like an adult so I thought I would give it ago.

“I knew I wanted to go into a health profession career so I did my research and found out that I could do the Health Sciences course and progress to Health professional career at university.

“After a few weeks at NWRC I knew I knew it was the right choice for me.

“I loved my two years there, it made me more independent, prepared and ready for university. My lecturers there gave me so much help and support over the 2 years.

“I am currently at Manchester Metropolitan University studying Physiotherapy. I hope to go on to work in the NHS to gain experience in my chosen profession and one day own my own Physiotherapy business.”

Leo Murphy, Principal and Chief Executive of North West Regional College who attended the awards ceremony said: “On behalf of Caitlin’s former lecturers and tutors, I would like to congratulate her on winning this scholarship.

“Her hard work at NWRC has already paid off now that she has progressed into a Degree programme in Physiotherapy. We wish her continued success in her ongoing studies and her future career.”