Ciara’s Wanted Down Under – thanks to NWRC

A local woman who studied Administrative Procedures with ICT to improve her employment opportunities so she could emigrate to Australia, is to appear on the popular television show ‘Wanted Down Under.’

Ciara McEleney and her husband Ruairi, along with their two daughters will appear on the BBC show on January 18, which sees families experience life in Australia and New Zealand ahead of possible migration.

During the episode the couple spend a week in Perth, with Ciara keen to move the family across the globe to experience finer weather.

Ciara McEleney, who will appear with her family on the BBC Show Wanted Down Under, was awarded the Best Group Certificate/Diploma Award on OCR Level 4 Diploma in Administration for work of an excellent standard at NWRC’s Higher Education Graduation Ceremony. (Pic Martin McKeown).

Ahead of the big move, Ciara decided she needed to increase her employment prospects as she’s been a Civil Servant for over 15 years now.

She explained: “I have worked for the Northern Ireland Civil Service for over 15 years.  As such, I had already gained a wide variety of experience and also participated in vocational and other training courses along the way.

“When my family decided to emigrate to Australia I began researching jobs and the qualifications needed, and discovered that Higher Diplomas are highly recognised by Australian employers.

“I applied for the OCR Level 4 Higher Diploma In Administrative Procedures with ICT at North West Regional College in order to increase my qualifications in the Business area, which I felt would not only build my confidence to compete within the labour market, but increase my employability rating within that market and be advantageous in my future career path.

“This course provides a mix of practical application and theory appropriate for Administrative Assistants, PAs, Officers and Executive Officers, such is the range it covers.  I graduated with my Level 4 Certificate in October and returned to top up to the full diploma – one of my best decisions.

“The course has been so rewarding and I set out to achieve more than I originally set out to do, with much appreciation for the college and help I was offered there, especially towards the end of my course when I went to Australia with my family to film Wanted Down Under.”

Ciara recently graduated at NWRC’s Higher Education Graduation ceremony where she was also given the Department of Business Special Award for work of an excellent standard.

The College will be hosting its 2019 Open days in Strabane on February 26, Strand Road on February 27, Limavady on February 28 and Saturday Open Day March 2.  For more information on full and part time courses relating to Business and Administration and NWRC please go to www.nwrc.ac.uk/apply

The show will be broadcast on Friday morning at 11 a.m. on BBC One.

You can watch a clip from the programme here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06xlk9w