New Welding Academy for our Greystone Campus

North West Regional College (NWRC) is collaborating with six local companies to offer 13 people the opportunity to learn welding skills at its Greystone Campus in Limavady.     The Department for the Economy’s Assured Skills Welding Academy will see participants receive five weeks’ training in the college followed by a two-week placement at one of six local engineering and fabrication companies.

Participant who successfully complete the course will be guaranteed a job interview.

Welcoming the new training opportunities, Head of Employer Skills at the Department for the Economy, Ann Williamson said: “This Assured Skills Pilot Welding Academy at NWRC is part of the wider delivery of welding training at Further Education colleges and companies across Northern Ireland. The collaborative model of learning enables participants to gain valuable skills and gives them the opportunity to pursue a rewarding career in the engineering sector.

“With no qualifications or experience needed, this is an opportunity for anyone seeking a new challenge to apply for this Assured Skills Pilot Welding Academy and see where it can take them.”

Nicola Curry, Business Development Manager at NWRC, said: “NWRC is pleased to be able to deliver this Assured Skills Welding Academy with support from the Department for the Economy and in collaboration with six local companies. The college has a track record of delivering high quality industry-relevant training and we look forward to welcoming successful applicants to take part in the course.”

Participants will receive a weekly training allowance of £150, will be reimbursed travel expenses and may be eligible for child care allowance. Applications are open until 8 February. For more information and details of how to apply, visit https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/assured-skills(external link opens in a new window / tab)

After the five-week course at NWRC’s Greystone Campus in Limavady, learners on the NWRC Assured Skills Welding Academy will have a two-week placement at one of the following companies:

• GES Ltd, Londonderry
  • MIM-NI Ltd, Maydown
  • MS Engineering, Limavady
  • Roe Engineering Ltd, Coleraine
  • McCauley Trailers Ltd, Toomebridge
  • Crossland Tankers Ltd, Maghera