Young people invited to join special Youth 19 think tank

Young people in the North West are being invited to come up with some creative new ideas to motivate teenagers across the City and District, as part of the Youth 19 programme for Derry and Strabane.

The Design Thinking programme will be delivered by Enterprise North West in conjunction with Derry City and Strabane District Council as part of the wider Peace IV Disrupt Programme, a project supported by the European Union’s PEACE IV Programme, and managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB). 

Tina Duffy (NWRC lecturer), students Matthew Rutherford, and Alisha Martin, Deputy Mayor Derek Hussey, Emma Quinn (DSDC), with Brian O’Neill and Carrie McCafferty (Enterprise NW).at the launch of the Design Thinking programme at North West Regional College’s Strabane Campus.

The programme aims to address the common complaint of young people having “nothing to do” and during the project young people will analyse, assess and decide what needs to happen for young people across Derry and Strabane to get active and get involved.
Enterprise NW will now deliver a series of workshops with the support of the North West Regional College’s Strabane Campus over the next four months.

Welcoming the initiative Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District, Councillor John Boyle, said it provided a great opportunity for young people to enhance youth culture here. “The Design Thinking programme hands control back to our young people and will enable them to come up with some creative solutions to an age old problem. By getting involved in the project there will be a real incentive for young people to make it work and come up with some really relevant ideas to appeal to their peers.