Early Years bring STEM projects to the classroom

Early Years students from North West Regional College have attended a workshop led by engineers from Seagate, teaching them how to use STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics), based projects in a classroom setting.

Four STEM ambassadors from the Technology firm, based in Derry~Londonderry, recently attended Strand Road Campus where they delivered the workshops to HND & Foundation Degree students focussing on the importance of delivering STEM based activities to pre-school and primary school children.

From left are: NWRC Curriculum Manager Lisa Taggart, Department Head of Training and Skills at NWRC, Karen Moore, and Lecturer Sandra Campbell, pictured with Seagate Technologies STEM Ambassadors: Shannon Willox, Alison Bell and Susan O’Hara.

Lecturer Sandra Campbell thanked the Seagate STEM Ambassadors for visiting the college.

She said: “We were delighted to welcome these inspirational Seagate engineers to the college as we continue our work linking Science and Technology into Early Years.

“The students learned a number of skills that took in construction, mathematics, chemistry , geometric problem solving and magnetics.

“During the workshops students were shown not only how to make lava lamps, build towers from marshmallows and spaghetti, magnetic car racing and make square bubbles, but how to deliver these workshops in a classroom setting.

“This was coupled with the important skills of teamwork and co-operation.

“Our students will take these skills with them when they continue their education on placement and as they continue with their education and careers.”

Early Years courses at NWRC enable students to develop the knowledge and skills required for the Childcare industry in areas such as safeguarding children, diets and lifestyle, Child theory and development, Care of children with special needs; and child psychology.

Former NWRC students have progressed to higher education and employment in Childcare, paediatric nursing, teaching and classroom assistants.

Courses begin at Level 1 and progress through to Foundation Degree, available full-time and part-time.

For more information www.nwrc.ac.uk/earlyyears