SMART students are Hong Kong bound

Ten students from North West Regional College are about to experience the trip of a lifetime when they travel to Hong this weekend to take part in the VTC-ITE International Student Seminar (ISS) on Smart Living.

As the only college in the whole of the UK to take part, the students have worked tirelessly to prepare a Project Based Learning Ted Talk presentation on Smart Living, and will also be given the opportunity to exchange ideas with other students from across the world on issues faced on a global scale.

The students, who study across a wide range of curriculum areas including I.T., Performing Arts, Business and the Built Environment will be mentored on the trip by NWRC members of staff Michael Poole and Annette Smith.

The ISS 2019 will be a four day event held at the Hong Kong Institute from June 17-20, where students from Vocational Training Council, Institute of Technical Education and other invited overseas institutions will share their sights on the concept of Smart Living.

Ahead of the seminar the ten from NWRC were asked to provide organisers with a fun picture that depicted the culture of their home town. The students opted for a photoshoot at the water fountains at Guildhall Square which also captured the city’s iconic and historic walls.

Annette Smith, Project Based Learning co-ordinator at NWRC said: “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for our students, and we are delighted that they have been selected to participate in such a prestigious event.

“The ISS seminar is a biennial event started in 2007 providing an opportunity for students at Higher Diploma level (from age 18-20) to exchange ideas on global issues through various interactive activities, including presentations, exhibitions, performances and cultural/ industrial visits.

“The main theme of the ISS 2019 is “A Smarter Generation for 2020+”, which aims to raise students’ awareness of innovation and technology advancement globally and, as a result, its impact on individuals and society.

“NWRC has a strong focus Project Based Learning at the college encouraging students to undertake real life skills projects working directly with local industry.

“This seminar allows them to take this work to the next level. The main theme of the ISS 2019 is “A Smarter Generation for 2020+”, which aims to raise students’ awareness of innovation and technology advancement globally and, as a result, its impact on individuals and society.

“The Seminar will also cover sub themes such as: Smart Living – Are you living smart? Smart Environment – How well are you protecting the environment? and Smart Economy – Entrepreneur of the future?

“The young people will also be challenged to generate new ideas that enhance daily living experience and daily and business activities.

“There will also be the chance to experience some of the culture of Hong Kong during the trip, so this will really be the opportunity of a lifetime.”