NWRC’s Karen Moore named Inspirational Educator – North West Regional College

NWRC’s Karen Moore named Inspirational Educator

North West Regional College’s Karen Moore has been named Inspirational Educator of the Year at the Derry Journal People of the Year Awards.

Karen has worked as a Lecturer, Curriculum Manager, Head of Student Services, Project Manager, and Head of Department at the college.

A midwife by profession Karen felt drawn to teaching because of a deep passion to work and empower young people.

Karen Moore pictured with her husband Harold at the awards ceremony.

Her straight-talking and tough love approach has inspired hundreds of students who have now gone on to successful careers in the Health Industry.

Karen was the mastermind behind the E2E (Education to Employment) festival at Ebrington, the first of its kind in the region, a free event designed to inspire local people in the North West to make the connection from Education to Employability.

Exhibitors from across the North West took part in the event, which was described as a landmark day for the learning and career aspirations of local people.

During her time as Head of Training and Skills as NWRC, Karen also oversaw the implementation of two hugely successful academies in Welding and Dry-Lining, aimed at addressing challenges faced by employers in accessing skilled workers locally, while also creating education and long term employment opportunities for young people in the North West.

In recent years Karen travelled to Abu Dhabi to support NWRC Joinery student Cameron Nutt, Department of Training and Skills when he competed in the Worldskills Finals, widely regarded as the Olympics of Skills.

In 2019, she also attended the 2 week UNESCO UNEVOC Leadership training programme in Germany.

Congratulations Karen.

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)