From Strand Road to Alkmaar – NWRC students take the Erasmus+ track to the Netherlands – North West Regional College

From Strand Road to Alkmaar – NWRC students take the Erasmus+ track to the Netherlands

A group of students from North West Regional College (NWRC) have just returned from a two-week stay in Alkmaar, the Netherlands, as part of an Erasmus+ Project.

The students, who are all class representatives or members of NWRC Students’ Union,  got to experience a variety of social and cultural experiences in North Holland, as well as developing skills in public speaking, communication and, teamwork, thanks to training provided at Het Nieuwe Warenhuis.

Danny Lyttle, Students Events and Liaison Officer at NWRC, who accompanied the group on the trip said: “I am hugely proud of all the students who took part in the project, for the personal and collective growth they have shown. They have learned, contributed and impressed so much that is really is hard to qualify.

“Now we have returned I’m looking to forward to watching them bring these skills home, training class representatives and staff with the skills that they have developed.”

The project was expertly co-ordinated by Guus Wink from WinkMovemaker who said:

“It has been an inspiring learning experience, full of challenges, soft skills development, teambuilding, many presentations and intense projects. Most of all it has been a ‘learning by doing’ experience where the students have been creating their realities. They have all grown a lot by developing an active and hands on mind-set.”

Ellee Dean, one of the participants, said: I would highly recommend the Erasmus + Project. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I met so many lovely people during my time in the Netherlands and I got the opportunity to experience the Dutch lifestyle and visit places that I’ve never been to before.

“My experience on this project was incredible. I got the opportunity to learn how to communicate effectively with other people, storytelling, listening, body language skills and teamwork exercises.

“With the skills and tools that I have learned and gained during this project I will be able to train newly elected class representatives, students that are involved in the Students’ Union and lecturers at North West Regional College.”

The group will be hosting their first training session for college staff next week.

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)