NWRC’s Barbering students launch first charity calendar – North West Regional College

NWRC’s Barbering students launch first charity calendar

Barbering, Hairdressing and Beauty students from North West Regional College (NWRC) have teamed up to create a special calendar for raise funds for local charities Foyle Search and Rescue and Foyle Hospice.

The 2020 Barbering Calendar features students from NWRC in a variety of urban locations across Derry~Londonderry, including the college’s Strand Road Campus.

All of the calendar’s stars are students of the college, and the styles of each model have been created by the Level 3 Barbering students, with Makeup from the Level 2 Beauty Therapy classes.

As part of the college’s focus on Project Based Learning, the students also designed the logo used on the calendar, which has also been transferred the Barbering T-shirts worn as uniforms by students in the college.

Launching North West Regional College’s charity calendar in aid of Foyle Hospice and Foyle Search and Rescue are: Barbering student Jack Mowbray, Curriculum Manager of Hair and Beauty at NWRC, Susan Cassidy, Course Coordinator Level 2 & 3 Full time & Part time Barbering, Grainne McCollum, and Barbering student Caomhim McCloskey. (Picture Martin McKeown).

Susan Cassidy, Curriculum Manager for Hair and Beauty at NWRC said: “I’d like to thank Grainne McCollum, Course Coordinator for the Level 2 & 3 Full time & Part time Barbering, who has put so much work into creating this calendar.

“Grainne has spearheaded the campaign from start to finish and created a fantastic product showcasing the hard work that is continually taking place in the Barbering, Hair and Beauty salons across North West Regional College.

“It will also help raise funds for the college’s nominated charities Foyle Search and Rescue and Foyle Hospice.

“This is our department’s first ever calendar and we are delighted to have this product now to shine the spotlight on the work of our hairdressers and barbers as we link with employers, a vital part of our work at the college as we continue to develop the employability skills of students.”

The calendar, which priced at £5 is available from the Hairdressing Salons at Strand Road Campus (Foyle Building, Level 6), and various Barber shops across the North West. A percentage of the profits from the calendar will be donate to the two charities.

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)