I left school at 16 with no formal qualifications but thanks to NWRC Strabane’s Access Course I’m now training to be a midwife – North West Regional College

I left school at 16 with no formal qualifications but thanks to NWRC Strabane’s Access Course I’m now training to be a midwife

Mum of two Cora Quinn from Clady studied the Access Course at NWRC Strabane, went on to the University of Ulster where she completed the BSc hons in Adult Nursing, spent 2 years working as a staff nurse in Critical Care and is currently studying Midwifery at QUB.

Cora explained: “I had left school at 16 years without any formal qualifications, when I was finished having my family and knew I could commit to full time study I returned to study by doing essential skills Maths and English, Diploma in Health & Social care followed by the Access course in 2012. I had always wanted to be a midwife so this is why I needed the access course to help me achieve this.

“I found the course really well put together covering a wide range of learning to leave you ready for multiple further studies.  The Maths and IT modules were a great advantage to have. Having the choice of part time and full time study was also an advantage for anyone working part time or with family commitments.

“This course was very intense but prepared me greatly for further studies at University of Ulster studying Adult Nursing, and now at Queens studying Midwifery. The teaching staff were very encouraging and supportive throughout the course.”

Find out more about NWRC’s Adult Courses at www.nwrc.ac.uk/apply

Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT Practitioners

Programming for Apps, websites and devices is something that I wanted to specialise in, but when I started doing A-Levels at school I realised that I wasn’t getting the opportunity to specialise my career in the way I had hoped. So when I discovered that this course at NWRC offered a pathway onto a degree in Computer Science I jumped at the chance!”

NVQ Level 2 in Professional Cookery

I studied Engineering at University for three years before I realised it wasn’t what I wanted to do. So I decided to follow my passion and become a chef. That’s why I applied to NWRC.

NVQ Level 2 in Professional Cookery

Access Diploma in Combined Studies

The support I received at NWRC was exceptional. The lecturers understood my needs and spotted my potential early on. The atmosphere was entirely different from what I expected. Everyone was so inspiring.

Access Diploma in Combined Studies

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business

Business is a great course for students who want to work as a Marketing Director, Administration or plan to open up their own business in the future. It gives you the opportunity to see how it works at all ends of the business spectrum.

Foundation Degree in International Travel and Tourism Management

I gained valuable industry experience and loved every minute of it. Studying Travel and Tourism at NWRC has definitely altered the course of my life and helped shape me into the person that I am today.