Perfectly polished career thanks to NWRC – North West Regional College

Perfectly polished career thanks to NWRC

A North West Regional College (NWRC) Hair and Beauty graduate who is now running her own business in Donegal, is encouraging local learners to secure their future career by logging on to NWRC’s Results Days in August.

Hair and Beauty graduate Vanessa Canning. (picture Martin McKeown).

Vanessa Canning says attending the college gave her the skills and confidence to pursue her dream of opening her own beauty salon, Polish Perfect by Vanessa.

This year the NWRC will be hosting Results Days ONLINE at www.nwrc.ac.uk/results when students can either apply for a course, or upload their results to confirm their place for a course they’ve previously applied for. On the website students will be given step by step instructions on how to upload their results, and can watch a video walking them through every step of the process.

Vanessa Canning, from Manorcunningham studied Level 2 Beauty Therapy, Level 3 Nail Technology, and the Level 3 in Make up Artistry, before going on to Higher Education studying the Higher National Certificate (HNC) in Hair and Beauty Management & Higher National Diploma (HND) in Hair and Beauty Management at NWRC.

She said: “I’ve always had an interest in Beauty since I was young so then when I was doing my Leaving Cert I didn’t really know what direction to go down career wise.

“When I finished school I was meant to be going to University to do a degree in HR Management but due to different circumstances I had to take a year out. During that year I did a lot of thinking about my career and realised that the path for HR wasn’t the right path for me so I went to the NWRC Open Day and the minute I went up to the Beauty department I knew it was where I wanted to go in September.

“I absolutely loved my time at NWRC. The support I received from all of the lecturers was unbelievable, they were always there for me and pushed me to my full potential.

“It is so important to study what you love because you’ll give it 100%.

“I’ve had my business ‘Polish Perfect by Vanessa’, for over 4 years now and I absolutely love every minute of it. It doesn’t even feel like I’m going to work because I love my job so much. Setting up my own business has been the best thing I have ever done.

“Being at NWRC has built my confidence greatly and without the support and guidance from all the staff at the NWRC I wouldn’t be where I am today. “

Vanessa is one of hundreds of students who choose NWRC as their post-16 and post 18 Education option.

The college offers a huge range of courses open to students aged 16 and over, from Level 1 to Level 6, in Further and Higher Education.

This year the college will be hosting Results Days ONLINE. You can logon to www.nwrc.ac.uk/results for post A-level Results on August 13 and 14 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. and post GCSE Results on August 20, 21 and 24 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)