Assembly committee receive tour of NWRC’s Limavady Campus – North West Regional College

Assembly committee receive tour of NWRC’s Limavady Campus

Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly’s committee for the Economy recently visited North West Regional College (NWRC) in Limavady, where they were told of the college’s strides in developing their 20/21 curriculum.

The group, who gathered for a Strategic Planning session in the Campus, included former NWRC students Sinead McLaughlin, SDLP MLA, and Gary Middleton DUP MLA, graduates of the Advanced Medical Secretary Course and Diploma in I.T. respectively.

Members were given a tour of the college’s facilities by Campus Manager for NWRC Limavady, Luke McCloskey, who revealed how the college had recently introduced six new full-time courses that can lead directly to employment or further study.

Former NWRC students Sinead McLaughlin, SDLP MLA and Gary Middleton DUP MLA, graduates of the Advanced Medical Secretary Course and Diploma in I.T. respectively, pictured with Leo Murphy, Principal and Chief Executive.

Limavady Campus Manager, Luke McCloskey, gives members of the Northern Ireland Assembly’s committee for the Economy a tour of NWRC Limavady. The group also got the opportunity to meet Veterinary Nursing students.

Mr McCloskey said: “We were delighted to invite the group to our Campus to see at first hand the work that has been done to welcome students and staff back to a safe and covid-19 compliant environment.

“The last few months have been challenging for staff and students but we’re looking ahead to our 20/21 academic year.”

During the tour, the group met with students who have just begun their first year in the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing course.

“We are very enthusiastic about our courses in Veterinary Nursing,” explained Mr McCloskey. “The course is extremely popular, in fact within two weeks of advertising it, the course had reached maximum capacity.

“Our Veterinary Nursing students have a real passion for what they are doing, and with students enrolling from as far as Omagh and Armagh we see a huge demand for training in this field. All of these students have received work placements with veterinary practices, combining our academic learning with hands on training.

“Work is nearing completion on our new state-of-the-art Veterinary Surgery laboratory at Limavady Main Street, offering students a real working environment when they are in college. As well as this physical investment in our curriculum, we are pleased to welcome industry professionals from the world of Veterinary Science to our Lecturing team.

“Limavady Campus is continuing to look at the needs of the local economy and we continue to adapt our curriculum offering to meet this demand. Last year we introduced our Level 3 Extended Diploma in Uniformed Public Services. This two year course, which is equivalent to three A-Levels, is popular with students aged 16, interested in a career in the emergency services and prepares them to enter training for these careers when they are 18.

“Alongside this, Limavady Campus also offers courses in Dental Nursing, Classroom Assistant, and our Extended Diploma in Applied Medical Science alongside our extensive range of FE and HE courses in Art and Design, Media, Science, Adult Learning, Sport, Early Years, Care and Health, Hospitality and Catering, Hairdressing and Beauty, business and I.T.  Our campus at Greystone also provides a range of courses focusing on apprenticeships, skills & Engineering.”

For more information on courses at NWRC Limavady go to www.nwrc.ac.uk.

You can contact Limavady Main Street on 71278700 or Greystone on 71278750.

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)