Minister announces 3,000 funded online training places – North West Regional College

Minister announces 3,000 funded online training places

Economy Minister Diane Dodds today announced 3,000 free online training places for people whose employment has been disrupted by the pandemic.

Representing an investment of £4.6million, the courses will have a focus on digital skills and be delivered by the local colleges and universities.

Economy Minister Diane Dodds has announced 3000 free online training places for people whose employment has been disrupted by the pandemic. Pictured with the Minister at the Banbridge campus of the Southern Regional College are Professor Brian Murphy, Ulster University, Professor David Jones, Queen’s University, Belfast, John D’Arcy, National Director for the Open University in Northern Ireland, Brian Doran, Chief Executive and Principal of Southern Regional College and Ken Webb, Chair of the FE Colleges’ Principals’ Group. PICTURE BY STEPHEN DAVISON

Encouraging people to apply, the Minister said: “I am keenly aware of the impact Covid-19 has had on the employment of so many people across a wide range of sectors. These 3,000 online training places will provide people with the opportunity to upskill and reskill, enabling them to pursue a career in what are growing local sectors.

“Developing the skills of our people right across Northern Ireland is a key priority for me as we begin the process of rebuilding our economy. This investment builds on my previous announcement in June of £1.7million for online training places and I am determined to keep skills at the centre of our long term strategic plans.

“Courses will be available from both further and higher education institutions and I urge anyone who is eligible to access this free training.”

The courses will be delivered online, except where there is a technical aspect which requires face-to-face learning.

More details of the courses available and how to access them are at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/free-short-term-courses-improve-skills

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)