NWRC hosts Virtual Graduation for Class of 2020 – North West Regional College

NWRC hosts Virtual Graduation for Class of 2020

A Hairdressing and Beauty student who is now working as a College Lecturer, will be one of almost 700 students who will have their learning achievements acknowledged at North West Regional College’s (NWRC) Virtual Higher Education and Access Graduation ceremony this year.

Vanessa Canning, who completed her Higher National Diploma in Hair and Beauty Management, now works at NWRC’s Strand Road Campus as a part-time lecturer, while running her successful business ‘Polish Perfect by Vanessa.’

Vanessa Canning, who is now a part-time lecturer at NWRC, will be among almost 700 graduates who will receive their Higher Education and Access qualifications at the college’s Virtual Graduation on November 27.

Streaming on the college’s Youtube channel (NWRC) on November 27, NWRC’s annual graduation ceremony has moved online because of the Covid-19 pandemic restrictions and will honour graduates of Art & Design, Business, Computing, Construction, Engineering and Science, Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy, Early Years, Health & Social Care, Hospitality, Tourism, Sport, Media, Music and Performing Arts, who have successfully completed courses at the College’s campuses in Derry~Londonderry, Limavady and Strabane.

Beginning at 12 noon, the MC for the event will be BBC broadcaster and weatherman, Barra Best, with video contributions from former students, 2020 graduands and well-known local guests.

Principal and Chief Executive of NWRC, Leo Murphy said: “I am delighted to be sharing this special day with our graduates, recognising these achievements in their academic journey.

“The event will be different this year because of Covid-19 restrictions, however, this is an important occasion as we join together to recognise the hard work and achievements of our Higher Education and Access students.

“Whether our graduates are moving on to employment or continued education, I wish each and every one of them continued success and encourage them in their future careers.”

Graduate Vanessa Canning said: “I absolutely loved my time at NWRC, in fact, I loved it so much that I applied to become a part-time lecturer. I was delighted to be offered the job and I’m now working as a Nail Technologist lecturer. I’d like to congratulate all my fellow graduates and I hope they are enjoying the celebrations wherever they may be.”

Graduation day will take place on Friday the 27th of November 2020 on the college’s youtube channel (search NWRC). Tune in to see your name on-screen, and special guest appearances.

We encourage all of our graduates to join in with the celebrations by tagging their pictures on social media at #nwrcgrads where they have a chance to win a prize.

For more information on NWRC’s graduation ceremony go to www.nwrc.ac.uk/graduation

For details on Higher Education courses at NWRC go to www.nwrc.ac.uk/apply

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)