Brighter Days project for NWRC’s Prince’s Trust students – North West Regional College

Brighter Days project for NWRC’s Prince’s Trust students

Young people taking part in North West Regional College’s Prince’s Trust Team Programme have used their skills to help in a charity project remembering ‘Those Lost and Loved in 2020.’

The students handcrafted Christmas baubles for a special Christmas project with the Brighter Days group, in partnership with Derry and Strabane District Council. Each bauble was inscribed with the name of a family member or loved one who passed away during 2020.

The baubles were then delivered by NWRC’s Students Services team,  via the River Foyle with the help of Driftwood canoe club and placed on Christmas trees at the Peace Garden in Foyle Street and the Alley Theatre courtyard in Strabane, with families receiving a small version of the bauble to keep for themselves.

Sean Curran, Team Leader with the Prince’s Trust at NWRC said: “This group has just completed a 12 week programme delivered by the college, aimed at boosting the employability skills of young people.

“This part of the course focussed on community engagement and the group put tremendous effort into producing the baubles, which were a special memento for so many families over this period.

“As well as the skills they learned and got to practise, they also experienced a great sense of working in the community. I’d like to congratulate all of the young people for the sterling effort they put into this work and I’d like to thank everyone at Brighter Days for giving them the opportunity.

“This course helps young people, not currently in work or education, to build on personal development, learn new skills and boost their confidence.”

“The approach with the Team programme is to make it as interactive and engaging as possible, spending time in a range of different environments.”

Mark McConway

Higher National Certificate in Construction

"It had been a few years since I was at college, but the help and support I received from the lecturers on my course made my time at the college enjoyable and memorable."

Rebekah Glen

Higher Level Apprenticeship in Accountancy 

"When I saw the Higher Level Apprenticeship advertised I thought it was a great opportunity to gain work experience while studying. There is only so much you can learn from a textbook!"

Leroy Grant

City and Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Barbering

"There's such a social and friendly atmosphere at the College. My lecturers are extremely supportive and the facilities are first class."

Carrie Bonner

HND In Media (Moving Image)  

"NWRC has opened so many doors for me and has given me the experience I need for a career in the creative media industry."

HND In Media (Moving Image)