When you apply for the visa you must provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel documentation
- 2 passport sized-colour photographs with your name written on the reverse side
- proof that you can support yourself and pay for your course – this will vary depending on your circumstances
- proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you’re under 18
- your childhood immunization record and tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
You’ll need to have a blank page in your passport on which to put the visa.
You may also need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances.
Read the guidance and appendix for the full list of documents and how much money you’ll need according to your situation.
Your Tier 4 sponsor (NWRC) has to assess your qualifications in order to assign your
CAS, you must send us these qualifications with your application. For each qualification listed, you must provide either:
The original certificate(s) of qualification. Each document must be the original (not a copy) and must clearly show:
- your name; and
- the title of the award; and
- the date of the award; and
- the name of the awarding institution.
Provisional certificates and transcripts of results will not be accepted.
Apply-check here to see if you require a VISA to study in the UK.
You should read the full guidance before you apply.
Apply outside the UK
You must apply online for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.
You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a visa application centre as part of your application.
You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application centre.
North Korea – You can’t apply online if you’re applying from North Korea.
To apply from North Korea you must:
Apply in the UK
You can only extend your existing visa or switch to this visa if you’re already in the UK.
Extend your visa
You may be able to stay longer to continue your course or study a new one. Note academic progression rules and regulations (page 19 and 20 of linked document).
You should include any dependants who are on your current visa on your application to extend – including children who have turned 18 during your stay.
You should apply before your current visa expires.
You may be able to apply to extend your stay to continue your course.
- meet the eligibility requirements of this visa
- be in the UK
You should read the full Tier 4 guidance before you apply.
Fees-Check here for current costs
It costs £428 to extend your visa.
You must pay £428 for each dependent.
When to Apply
You must apply:
You can stay in the UK until you get your decision
WAYs to apply
If you want to get a decision more quickly than the standard 8 weeks, you can apply:
- for priority service – there’s a limited number of places each day
- to use a premium service centre – you’ll need to go in person
||Time for a decision
||Cost per person
You’ll also need to provide biometric information (£19.20 fee) and pay the healthcare surcharge.
Apply for the standard or premium service
You can apply online:
- for the standard service
- to book an appointment at a premium service centre
Pay the appropriate fee at the same time.
Apply for the priority service
You must fill in a request form before you can use the priority service. Send it to the email address on the form.
Only the first 60 requests received each day after 8:30am (Monday to Friday) are accepted – you’ll get an email saying if you’ve been successful.
A decision will be made:
- within 8 weeks for online applications
- usually on the same day if you use the premium service
You’ll be contacted if your application is complex and will take longer, for example because:
- your supporting documents need to be verified
- you need to attend an interview
- of your personal circumstances (e.g. if you have a criminal conviction)
Once you’ve applied you can stay in the UK until you’ve been given a decision, as long as you applied before your last visa expired.