Education Maintenance Allowance
Applications for the 2023-24 academic year are now open. Continuing students do not need to reapply.
Please make sure you have read the Guidance Notes before completing and sending your application.
- EMA pays £30 per week and is available to 16-19 year olds (means tested)
- Courses must be at least 15 hours per week (excludes Essential Skills)
- Apply by completing an EMA Application form, available online
For more information contact: 0300 200 7089
Further Education Grant
- Available to students who are studying full-time, further education courses and are 19 years of age or over on the 1st of July (before the start of the academic year)
- Students can get up to £2,092 per year (means tested, non-repayable)
- Download an Application Form or visit Student Services
Closing dates apply. Please check Education Authority website for details or call 028 8241 1411.
Part-time Further Education Award
- Part-time further education awards are also available to students studying part-time further education courses
- Students can get up to £465 towards fees and £265 towards books and materials
- Download an Application Form or collect a copy from Student Services.
Deadline for funding is 30th September.
Republic of Ireland Students
- There are no grants available for ROI students studying full-time further education courses
- Part-Time further education students may apply for the part-time Further Education Award (Fees Only)
- You may be able to apply for Back to Education if you are currently in receipt of a Social Welfare payment.
Free travel passes are issued by your local Education Authority (EA) office. Check your eligibility and apply online.
- Be under 19 on 1st July before the start of the academic year
- Be studying a Further Education course only (Level 1-3)
- Live at least 3 miles from their nearest college
If you are studying a Higher Education course you are not entitled to a travel pass.
Free School Meals
Students under 18 years of age at 31st July before the start of the academic year, may be entitled to free school meals. Applications must be made by your parent or guardian to your local Education Authority - apply online.
School meal tickets will be available from reception and should be collected on a weekly basis.